Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"Curve it up" with the QCR, QAL

Helen and I are excited to start this QAL today!  We've had this idea in our heads for quite sometime and finally thought we would do something about it!

The idea for this QAL came from our love for traditional blocks.  We LOVE TRADITIONAL BLOCKS!!  I'm not sure why, maybe it's the history behind them.... maybe it's because our first quilts ever made were traditional block quilts.  In any case we love them,  which brings us to the QAL!

  We are going to take 12 traditional blocks and with the help of the Quick Curve Ruler (QCR) are going to "Curve them up"!!  

The first traditional block will be the Churn Dash Block.

  
The QAL will go for 6 months.  We will post a new block every two weeks which will give you (12) "Curve it up" blocks by the time you are done.  Each block will measure at 16 1/2" before sewed which will give you a nice size "Curve it up" sampler block quilt.

We will alternate the postings.  I will be posting blocks 1, 3, 5, 7, 9  and 11 here on my blog and Helen will post blocks 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 on her blog.  Again, a new block with the tutorial will be posted every two weeks.

I've always wanted to make an orange and aqua quilt and thought this QAL would be a perfect time to do this.

I've collected some yummy orange and aqua prints that I can't wait to cut into!

The "Curve it up" QAL will officially start, this Monday, October 22nd with the tutorial for the Churn Dash Block.  Each block in this series will be simple enough for even the beginner quilter to do with ease.

Here is a button you can add to your blog and to do this just copy the code below the button and add it as an HTML, in "add a gadget" in layout mode.

Sew Kind Of Wonderful
Does this QAL sound fun? Well if you think it does but you don't have the Quick Curve Ruler (QCR), you're in luck!  We are having a 3 day sale on the Quick Curve Ruler starting today and ending Friday at midnight.  The ruler will be on sale for $19.95 and that includes free shipping within the United States.  That's $5 dollars off the regular price!  Just click on the QCR to purchase.
  We will ship out the rulers daily for the next 3 days priority mail, in order for you to get your ruler ASAP to start the QAL with the rest of us.
 
We've created a Flikr Group for those of you joining.  That way you can share anything from what fabrics you might be using.....your sewing progress.....and of course, your blocks as you complete them. 

Are you intimitated by curves?  Really, you don't need to be!
All the curves are cut with the use of the QCR.  Each curve is a gentle curve, which makes it easier to sew each curve.  Also, each block will be squared up to a nearly perfect rectangle or square using the QCR.  The ruler's function is to make working with curves easier.  You can also check out a you tube video here, if you want to see how to cut and sew the curves, then square them up. 

If we missed any details, or you have any questions, let us know.

This should be fun!!

~Jenny and Helen~
 
 

26 comments:

Kathy Schwartz said...

I love traditional blocks too and your curved Churn Dash block is a great variation. Looking forward to your QAL. :)

Diane said...

I have your ruler! But I haven't been able to squeeze in any time to actually use it yet! I'm thinking your QAL might be just the ticket. It sounds like fun!

Jen said...

Awesome! This sounds like fun...love your color choices, too.

Lori S said...

Looks like it will be a lot of fun. Can you share any more details about amounts for fabric requirements? Wondering what part of my stash might be suitable.

Vicki in MN said...

What a fun block and fun QAL, think I might just have to squeeze in some time to do this! How much fabric do you estimate we need to do this?

Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts said...

Oh my! And I just raved about this ruler today on my blog. And I'm totally joining in on this lovely QAL! ♥

Theresa said...

This sounds fantastic. I love the curved Churn Dash and your colours too.

Teresa Silva said...

This sounds neat! How much fabric should I plan on? Do you need yardage or fat quarters. Thanks for doing this. Always love your work.

Litamora's Quilt & Design said...

This looks like a lot of fun, I'll join you :o)Love the fabrics you'll be using!

SasNi said...

Yeah! This really sounds like fun. I love traditional blocks also and am happy with your idea to curve them.
Can´t wait to get started.
Saskia

Trudi said...

Sounds like great fun! Will have to rummage for fabrics, can't guarantee ill be able to keep up, but will give it a go!

Annabella said...

Oh this looks like fun! Look forwrad to seeing the blocks you put your curved spin on!

Melissa said...

I'm in! I think I am going to use Cocoon :)

Bri said...

I just ordered my ruler! Sooooo excited...can't wait to see the blocks you and Helen come up with.

Cathy said...

I am looking forward to this quilt along. Let the fun begin!

SewSealy said...

Jenny, you and Helen are brilliant! I love this idea and look forward to joining in on the fun. :)

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my! The LAST thing I need is another project on my schedule! But I bought your ruler several months ago and I've been itching to play with it. A QAL sounds like the perfect opportunity for me - hopefully I'll be able to play along :*)

Sharon said...

Like the looks of this. I will be following (c :

Sherril said...

This is a great time for your Mom to take the challenge.

Annette (awalters_nc@yahoo.com) said...

How exciting!! I bought the QCR and some patterns several weeks ago. I have been looking for a QAL that would hold my attention. This is the one for me!!

Patti said...

You had me at Churn Dash! I've ordered the ruler!:-)

Nicci P said...

I have been wanting to order your QCR for the longest time and this got me motivated. You shipped my order today, and I am excited about the QAL. Yes, I need another project like I need another fat quarter or cookbook, but projects be damned...I am in!
Thanks for all the inspiration you provide on your blog. I love it!

**nicke... said...

oh yay! im excited! i better get my ruler and dust it off! ***shame***

Mama Pea said...

This looks so fun. I cannot start something new right now....to many UFOs already! I will follow along with interest and maybe catch up later!

the running chicken quilting said...

I'm in !! First block is lovely. I am making one in reproduction fabrics and another with a more modern look.

K said...

I just saw your qal and want to catch up! How much fabric would I require?